Back in the day, Neil Armstrong said it best: “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” The occasion? His moon walk in 1969, the first ever for a human.
Never before or since has there been a clearer example of “you have to start somewhere.” That no matter what the ultimate goal might be, there always has to be a first step, and that we shouldn’t expect to accomplish everything at once. Conserving water falls into that same category.
Most people we talk to, and whose plumbing we help maintain, agree: conserving water is valuable beyond any reasonable doubt. Where many come up short, however, is in thinking that their potential contributions are too minute to matter.
At Your 1 Plumber, we respectfully disagree. Every drop of water you save DOES matter – just ask the people who don’t have enough. What specifically can you do to conserve even more? Here are two tried and true methods:
- Put aerators on all your faucets.
- Turn the water off while brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Run the dishwasher and washing machine only with full loads.
- Replace your old model toilet with a newer model that consumes no more than 1.6 gallons per flush. Older toilets use 3-5 gallons.
- Don’t want to take shorter showers? You can still conserve water by replacing your shower head with a reduced flow model.
- Get water leaks repaired as soon as you spot them.
- Be on the lookout for hidden water leaks. Telltale signs include damp spots on a downstairs carpet, black mold formation, brown stains on your ceiling, and more.
- Another indication of a water leak is a large spike in your water bill that you otherwise can’t account for.
- Place a bucket in the shower while waiting for the water to get hot off. Then, use that water for your plants or to clean.
- Water outdoor plants in the early morning. You’ll need less water since cooler morning temperatures reduce the amount of evaporation. Also, watering at night can promote mold growth.
If water conservation includes replacing one or more of your plumbing fixtures or systems, Your 1 Plumber is here to help with expert installation, guaranteed upfront pricing, and your 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Contact us today for more information or to request service.